Following the Battle of Poitiers in 1356, Sir John Delves of Doddington found favour with the Black Prince's father, King Edward III, who appointed him an esquire of the King's bodyguard (1363), ward of the King's daughter (1364) and a Justice of the King's Bench (1365).
Good relations between the Delves family and the Crown were not always so. In 1642 Sir Thomas Delves, 10th in succession from Sir John, was a signatory with other Cheshire gentlemen of a remonstration to King Charles I and was promptly arrested. During the English Civil War which followed, Doddington was garrisoned by Parliament.
History repeated itself during the Second World War when Doddington Hall was requisitioned to be the European headquarters of General Dwight Eisenhower.
A feature of the earlier Doddington Hall had been a porch embellished with the figures of the Black Prince and his four Cheshire squires (Delves being one). In 1777 these figures were moved to their present position on the east face of the old castle. The castle also shelters another relic – an enormous bone which, according to local tradition, came from a huge Cheshire cow which no-one ever succeeded in milking dry.
The new Doddington Hall was built between 1777 and 1798 for the Rev. Sir Thomas Broughton Bt (a direct descendant of Sir Thomas Delves) to the designs of Samuel Wyatt. A later landscaping commission around the Hall was completed by Capability Brown. Doddington Hall is reckoned to be Samuel Wyatt's finest commission.
Of all the rooms in Doddington Hall, the circular saloon can stand comparison with some of the most notable rooms designed contemporaneously by Samuel's more famous brother James Wyatt and by their great rivals – the brothers Adam.
The walls are divided into panels by pilaster strips, decorated with entwined vineleaves and bunches of grapes in stucco, which carry a frieze of goblets in wreaths of wheat-ears beneath an enriched cornice. (Country Life February 1953).
Adjoining the western end of Doddington Hall is a curved service wing along the length of which at basement level runs a tramway that was once used for transporting food and fuel from the domestic quarters into the heart of the house.